Motor Legal Expenses Cover
Please note the final Part VII transfer from DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company to ARAG Legal Protection Ltd will be completed in Mid-2020
If you are involved in a motor accident that wasn’t your fault, Motor Legal Expenses Insurance is there to help you recover any losses which are not covered by your general motor insurance policy and pursue compensation from the driver at fault.
What is Covered
You are involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault and suffer losses, such as:
- Damage to personal belongings in your vehicle
- Loss of the use of your vehicle
- Vehicle repair costs if you are not comprehensively insured
- Policy excess on your comprehensive motor insurance policy
- You or your passengers are injured.
- Try to negotiate recovery of your claim through our motor claims centre
- If this is not possible, or where personal injury is involved, find a specialist lawyer to act for you, who will tell you if you’re likely to win
- Arrange a replacement hire vehicle if required
- Pay up to a typical amount of £100,000 to cover legal costs and expenses, and the other side’s if you lose
- Give unlimited access to our legal advice and counselling helplines.
Some Motor Legal Expenses Insurance policies also cover the costs of a lawyer to:
- Defend your legal rights if you’re prosecuted for a motoring offence, for example speeding
- Protect your legal rights if you are involved in a contract dispute relating to your vehicle, for example poor repairs from a garage.
If you are interested in buying Motor Legal Expenses Insurance or want to know more about what’s included in your policy, please speak to your insurance adviser.
What isn’t Covered
- Claim for losses suffered before you buy the policy
- Claim expenses incurred before your claim is accepted (e.g. the cost of consulting your own lawyer).
We will not:
- Continue with your claim if your lawyer doesn’t think you will win.
Exclusions and limitations
- It’s important to bear in mind that policy cover and limitations can vary between different providers.
Typical exclusions and limitations include:
- The insurer will choose the vehicle hire company and the type of vehicle to be hired
- A replacement hire vehicle if the driver at fault cannot be identified or traced
- Alleged criminal offences relating to parking, obstruction, insurance or challenging a fixed penalty notice
- Motor contract disputes where the contract was entered into before the legal expenses insurance product was bought
- Minimum amounts in dispute in order to make a motor contract dispute claim.
- Maximum cover amounts. Typically this amount is between £50,000 and £100,000 per claim. Please check with your insurance adviser as amounts can vary.
Video Explained: A Guide to Motor Legal Expenses Insurance from DAS